Monday, November 30, 2009

Autumn walk

I thought I'd better get this post up since it's the last day of November and the weather here is quickly changing to full on winter!  It's raining today where we are at 400 meters but at just 600 meters it's all snow.  Hooray!!

Anyway,  last week I took a walk along a narrow path up to this beautiful, tiny chapel that is built into the rocky mountainside above our town.  I am always amazed at these locations and try to imagine the manpower it took to get the materials up to these building sites.  It looks like this place just required lots of good carving skills.

This is the start of the path.  It's a warning about falling rocks...



Below is the widest part of the path.  Lots of leaves to make it nice and slippery...



More climbing...



and more climbing...



finally made it to the top...










There is a very dark and narrow passage way between the church and the mountain.  In this creepy tunnel I found this...




I guess if you are brave enough to make the climb, enter the dark tunnel, and walk through that 
door then you're brave enough to accept any punishment your sins may warrant.
When you get to the other side of the passageway you can see how the church hugs the cliff.




and then you get the view of the east side of town into the Rhone valley




Hope you all enjoyed this as much as I did.







1 comment:

Sue said...

Hey that place looks awsome,also I'd like to ask Is it snowing up there?Hope you come back soon!!!!!
Love,Ivy