I haven't been to Barcelona since Michael and I were there as college students in 1994. OK, I was a student and Michael was hard at work but we were still young and it was a very long time ago!
The city is still lovely with amazing architecture, old and new. The only thing that seems to have changed is the amount of tourists swarming all the Gaudi sites. Here is a photo of Casa Milà that I took as we drove by. You can see the ridiculously long queue at the bottom.
and this is Sagrada Familia. We waited in line for 45 minutes before hearing sirens and seeing smoke. Some deranged person had set fire to the sacristy. You can read it here:
Even Parc Güell was packed with people but it was a beautiful day so who could blame us touristy types for trying to enjoy the sunshine in such a cool place?
We checked out Mercat de la Bouqeria and drank some delicious smoothies
and checked out the jamón ibérico
The least crowded tourist spot on our itinerary was Mies van der Rohe's Barcelona Pavilion
We ate tapas at Tapas 24
and ended the week at El Meridien Ra in El Vendrell
a great beach resort and spa. The weather didn't cooperate with our plans so we spent most of the time indoors or on the hotel patio but it was relaxing. Maisie and I took our shoes off and walked on the beach but that was as close as we got to sunbathing.
Another fun trip.
We're home now in time to celebrate Easter in Switzerland. I think this is the first year that we haven't had an Easter picnic or Easter egg hunt. Guess my baby is getting too old for all of that.
Happy Spring and Happy Easter everyone!
1 comment:
que alegre! my favorite is maisie with the statue..excellent! miss you:)
Post a Comment