The school has an activity committee that organizes weekly outings for the parents. I still get excited every time I get to do something cool in the middle of a week day which is proof to me that since the excitement hasn't worn off I'm not yet ready to go back to work. This week's activity was a visit to the oldest winery in Switzerland which has been in business since the early 1400's. We got a tour of the facilities and an explanation on how the wine is made and of course, a little taste. It was a beautiful day and so nice to get out and enjoy the Fall weather.
Here is a view of the vineyards looking toward the Lake and the town of Lutry.
This is a shot of the just-picked grapes going into a machine that separates them from "their wooden pieces" or, as we stay in English, stems.
Here are the barrels that are in the old cellar. This part of the house was built in 1397.
This next photo is of the brand new (not quite finished) addition. The details are simple and beautiful and, according to the tour guide (and owner) the new barrels take a few years before they are cured and no longer give the wine an oak-ey flavor (at least that's what I think he said).
Also of interest is that Switzerland consumes 95% of the wine they produce and very little is exported so if you want a taste, you'll have to come here and get it.





No comments:
Post a Comment