Thursday, December 18, 2008

Belated Thanksgiving and Geneva



In case there is anyone reading this who doesn't already know how I feel, I believe every day here is worthy of Thanksgiving.  I absolutely love Switzerland and truly feel each day here is a beautiful gift.

For those who asked, yes, we did celebrate Thanksgiving.  Michael had some friends visiting from Pennsylvania and on the Wednesday before (excellent planning skills, I know), I thought it would be a good idea to have everyone over to our place to celebrate.  I had to drive to the next town over for a grocery store that had a larger selection of products since the grocery store in my town is the size of a 7-11.  I found a giant turkey breast at the butcher counter and most of the traditional ingredients within the same store.  I did have to substitute a sweet potato pie for a much longed for pumpkin pie but other than that we pulled off a decent meal in under 4 hours.  We didn't take any photos that day unfortunately but the day after we all headed to Geneva for some touristy fun.  Here are a few photos from that trip...



Maisie on our hotel balcony overlooking the Jet d'eau in Lac Leman (Geneva).


Here is everyone milling about in front of St. Peter's and here is one shot of the inside.  I won't bore you with the architectural detail photos I took (unless you ask nicely).



This is a photo of Maisie and her new friend Spencer standing in front of a garden of shrubs cut and decorated to look like giant lamps (sponsored by GE).   Spencer is a year older than Maisie, is also a very picky eater and likes Club Penguin.  They got along famously.



We walked from our hotel along the lake, across the botanical gardens, and over to the United Nations.  We then visited the Red Cross Museum which was very interesting.  My favorite part was a room full of file cards with the names of every prisoner of war who was treated by the Red Cross during WWII.



Here we are (or is that my sister?) in front of the Lake.  I loved Geneva and hope to return soon.  Maisie wants to go back because they have an American store where we can buy things like Poptarts and marshmallows.  


No comments: