Friday, March 19, 2010

My first "Quilt"


Maisie's school had a special "Language Day" where the kids are split up into their native languages and the parents come in and tell them a story.  The American Moms decided to tell the story of Betsy Ross and how she helped make the first American Flag.  The story we read them tells of all the quilts Betsy made and so the day before our presentation I decided that for our activity to go along with the story, we needed to make a quilt.  Why do I have my best (worst) ideas at the last minute!?!  I've never made one before but I've seen it done by my mother, my sister and my grandmother hundreds of times so I figured it was in my blood.  This would be easy, right?  

Turns out I wasn't exactly right but I think it turned out pretty cute (as long as you don't inspect the stitching; cheap sewing machine).  The kids decorated their quilt blocks and I took them home and sewed them all together and had the quilt back to the school the next morning for display.



I'm looking forward to making a real quilt someday.

No comments: