I am about 3 or 4 posts behind but I thought I'd jump ahead and show you all what we had the chance to see today. In a stroke of luck the route of the Tour de France came through our town. The Cantonal road that leads to Martigny and then Verbier (today's finish line) is just a block from our house so we watched the race on TV until we knew they were close and then walked down in time to see them ride by.
Here is our spot. Some of the locals painted encouraging slogans on the street, or so I thought. I've since learned that these are messages for/from Livestrong. Check Matty B's comment for an informative link.
Here come the leaders....
I think the guy in the front left spot with the red jersey is Cancellara, the top Swiss rider.
I think the kid in yellow is mine!
There was about a 3 minute lull and then the rest of the riders came over the bridge....
They were so close!
And there they go....
A once in a lifetime experience. Very cool!
4 comments:
Great photos!!! Lucky you....
A quick point of clarification: the messages on the street are actually coming from all over the world, thanks to Livestrong & Nike via the "chalkbot." Check out this video about the chalkbot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Jb-KT4r6NY&feature=player_embedded
Thanks Matty B.! I was too afraid to walk out into the street to try and read the messages properly (considering the woman and the motorcycle incident the day before).
C'mon...this tops seeing the Olympic torch run thru Albany, Georgia in '96? Everyone wants to go to Switzerland; Georgia, not so much...THAT was definitely a once in a lifetime experience:)
Post a Comment